Want to know more about artist live/work spaces? The Well is your new source for information about resources, agencies, space finders, collaborative organizations, and happenings across the world, the U.S., and at home. Scroll down to find out more.
Art Space – In addition to its functions as a developer, owner and manager of Artspace live/work projects from coast to coast, Artspace acts as a consultant to communities, organizations, and individuals seeking information and advice about developing affordable artist live/work spaces.
Our Town by the National Endowment for the Arts – Our Town is the NEA’s primary creative placemaking grants program, and invests in projects that contribute to the livability of communities and place the arts at their core.
Art Place America – Art Place is a ten-year collaboration that exists to position art and culture as a core sector of comprehensive community planning and development, through a national grants program, documentation and research, and making connections in communities.
Rebuilding Exchange – A nonprofit that operates a market for reclaimed building materials. Rebuilding Exchange also provides education, job training, and programming to promote sustainable deconstruction practices.
Artist Space Housing in Boston – An initiative through the Boston Redevelopment Authority that works in collaboration with other city agencies to help create live/work spaces and retain existing spaces for artists in the city.
- Urban Turf – A list of artist live-work space articles out of Washington, D.C.
- Chicago Artists Resource – Look for artists’ spaces in Chicagoland
- ArtSake Classifieds – Find or list creative spaces in Massachusetts
- Creative Ground – New England’s directory of creative spaces, enterprises, and artists
- NYFA Space Directory – Find live/work spaces in New York City
- Curbed Live-Work Space Discussions – See new posts of artist live/work spaces in Detroit
- Ingham County Landbank – Works to restore foreclosed properties to constructive use, including artist spaces
- City of East Lansing – Official website of East Lansing
- City of Lansing – Official website of Lansing
- 517 Creative Spaces: Digs & Gigs – Offers information on Greater Lansing real estate listings and spaces for artists
- Arts Council of Greater Lansing – The resource agency for Greater Lansing artists and organizations, creative placemaking, and more.
Articles & Other News
- All Up in Your Space: Billie Howard on How Artists Live
- Creative Placemaking: A White Paper for the National Endowment for the Arts Mayors’ Institute on City Design
- How to Save a Place: Get the Word Out
- Live/Work Spaces for Artists: A Historical Perspective
- More than 53,000 Artists Apply for 89 Affordable Harlem Apartments
- NYC Plans to Unveil 1,500 Affordable Artists’ Studios by 2025
- Taking a Measure of Creative Placemaking
- The Beginning of 517 Creative Spaces – Booklet
- The Ten Truths of Live/Work Planning Policy
- Working at Home / Artists Find Affordable Loft Space is Scarce
Updated in August 2015. Also, check out our blog Musings for more up-to-date information and thoughts on live/work spaces!